It’s Easy to Prevent Cavities. Here’s how.
Did you know tooth decay affects children in the United States more than any other chronic infectious disease? If left untreated tooth decay causes pain and infections that may lead to problems with eating, speaking, playing, and learning.
The good news is that tooth decay and other oral diseases that can affect children are preventable. The combination of dental sealants and fluoride has the potential to nearly eliminate tooth decay in preschool children. Here are some things you can do to ensure good oral health for your child:
- Encourage your children to eat regular nutritious meals and avoid frequent between-meal snacking.
- Protect your child’s teeth with fluoride.
- Drink the water that come out of your tap. Its treated with fluoride. Or look for bottled water that’s treated.
- Use a fluoride toothpaste. For preschool children you only need a pea-sized amount on the toothbrush.
- Make sure your children brush at least twice a day for two minutes after breakfast and before bed time.
- As soon as you see a tooth your baby’s mouth start brushing with a soft brush and water.
- Make it fun with a two minute timer or by singing or playing a two minute song.
- Brush your teeth at the same time. Children really do learn from what you do. Your habits become their habits.
- Help them get the tough spots. It can be hard to brush your teeth when your young. Help your children out until they get the hang of it.
- Make sure they never go to sleep with a bottle or eat or drink anything other than water after brushing before bedtime.
- Talk to your child’s dentist about dental sealants. They protect teeth from decay.
- Happy Times June 2023 - May 25, 2023
- How To Make Ms. Alyssa’s Favorite Play dough - May 11, 2023
- Happy Times May 2023 - April 21, 2023