It’s loaded with 30 different types of living bacteria like: Coli, Clostridium p., Pseudomonas a., Staphylococcus a., Salmonella, Bacillus c. Faecal Streptococci, and Enterococci. It could even have mold & COVID-19 on it!!! Faecal Streptococci, also known as poo particles, can cause bacterial pneumonia, ear infections and bacterial meningitis. Can you guess what it is?
Your child’s car seat! If not disinfected regularly, is a feeding ground for all kinds of germs
You guessed it! A typical child’s car seat is full of germs. Daily wipe downs and weekly deep cleanings/disinfectants will kill them all when done correctly. But don’t head right for the bleach bottle. It could damage the seat and deteriorate some of the strapping and safety features. Instead make sure you read the cleaning instructions provided by the manufacturer.
How to clean & disinfect your child’s car seat
Daily disinfecting is super simple. We recommend using the disinfectant odoban to spray down the seat, belts and surrounding area. It not only disinfects but it also gets rid of odors. You can find it at Home Depot. We use it every single day at school.
Deep cleaning should be done at least once a week
- First consult the manufacturer’s directions and recommendations.
- Generally you’ll take the entire seat out of the car.
- Remove the cover and toss in the washer. You may be able to dry in dryer but check the label and instructions. Sun or line drying works great too!
- Disinfect the plastic seat and let it sit in the sun to dry. Again, we recommend using the disinfectant odoban.
- The straps, belts etc usually need to be hand washed or simply spray them with disinfectant and spot clean.
- Disinfect the inside of the car. Don’t forget the seat belts, door handles, locks, windows, etc.
- Put it all back together when fully dry.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instruction for reinstallation and your good to go!
Steering Wheels can be even more disgusting than the car seat and you wouldn’t see anything!
Simple fix here too. Just disinfect it regularly. 🙂
At Halsey Schools we disinfect all day long
Our favorite disinfectant is Odoban. It takes 1 minute to kill viruses like COVID-19 and 10 minutes to kill bacterias. It can be wiped off or left to air dry and it smells GREAT too! For a complete list of products we use and details on our disinfecting procedures read our Cleaning, Sanitizing and Disinfecting Procedures here.